Protective Styles... Yay! or Nay?

What is protective styling??  Protective styling is styling the hair in such a way that prevents damage from everyday elements. As you can see I have box braids in my hair. I wanted to have a protective style because its been a long time since I have had one. I have started noticing my hair more dry than usual and I was going to myrtle beach so I figured, box braids would be the best and easy way for my hair. I'm trying to retain the length of my hair and make it grow even longer. The best way to length retention is having protective styling so your hair can have a rest. A rest from minipulating the hair with braid outs and twist outs. Box braids is one type of protective styling, other examples are weaves, wigs, mini twists and etc. I get a lot of questions on how I retain the length of my hair and I always say, first I trim my ends and second protective styling. So for me I would say YAY!! to protective styling. But, there are some protective styles that DO NOT protect our hair. For example weaves with glue can hurt our hair. If not put in/ taken out correctly it can rip you hair out. Also micro box braids is not a good protective style. It can rip out your hair when you take the braids out. So there are pros and cons when it comes to protective styling. At the end of the day it all comes down to what protective style is right for your hair!!  I would love to know what protective styling you use?? Is protective styling a YAY or NAY to you??? How often do you have a protective style in your hair?? Do you feel protective styles are good or bad for our hair?
OR

Please leave a comment below!! I would love to hear your thoughts! Until next time XOXO LIVA!

1 comment:

  1. Great job it is so true protective styles could be so iffy! Its so hard!! But great post though and I love your hair!!

    ReplyDelete